Connecticut’s Trout & Salmon Stamp

Funding Future Generations

Connecticut's Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) has introduced a trout & salmon stamp as a necessary measure to maintain and support its trout and salmon programs. This stamp acts as an additional revenue source, and much like the fishing licenses, 100% of the proceeds from the purchase of a trout & salmon stamp are dedicated to supporting Connecticut’s fish and wildlife programs.

The initiative ensures that the state can continue to offer robust fishing opportunities while also engaging in conservation and habitat restoration efforts. By purchasing the trout & salmon stamp, anglers directly contribute to the sustainability of the fish populations and the quality of fishing for future generations. It's a way for the fishing community to invest in the long-term health of the state's aquatic ecosystems and the continuation of its rich angling heritage.

Who Needs A Trout & Salmon Stamp

  • Age Requirement: The stamp is mandatory for anyone aged 16 and over, including seniors 65 and older.
  • Designated Areas: A stamp is required when fishing in:
    • Trout Management Areas (TMA)
    • Wild Trout Management Areas (WTMA)
    • Trout Parks
    • Atlantic Salmon Broodstock areas
  • Harvesting Specific Fish: The stamp is also necessary when harvesting:
    • Trout
    • Kokanee
    • Atlantic Salmon

Note: While Trout Management Lakes (TML) are not TMAs, a stamp is needed at these lakes only when keeping trout or salmon. To clarify these requirements, green signs are posted where a stamp is required to fish, and purple signs indicate where a stamp is needed only for keeping trout or salmon. These signs are a handy aid posted at many fishing locations to remind anglers of the Trout & Salmon Stamp requirements.

Who Does Not Need A Trout & Salmon Stamp

  • Youth Exemption: Anyone under 16 years of age is exempt from needing a stamp.
  • Lifetime License Holders: Holders of lifetime fishing licenses issued to persons that are blind, have an intellectual disability, or certain physical disabilities (detailed under Licenses) do not require a stamp.
  • Alternative Stocking: Anyone fishing in waters stocked at no expense to the state, i.e., waters stocked with trout by another entity but not by the state.

Fee for a Trout & Salmon Stamp

  • Standard Fee: The fee for a trout & salmon stamp is $5.00.
  • Reduced Fee for Young Anglers: For Connecticut residents ages 16 & 17, the fee is reduced to $3.00.
  • Validity: The stamp is issued for the calendar year and expires on December 31st, aligning with most fishing licenses.

Obtaining The Stamp

The trout & salmon stamp can be easily obtained in the same manner as your fishing license:

  • Online: Visit
  • In Person: At DEEP offices, town halls that sell licenses, or other vendors. For a complete list, visit the DEEP website or call DEEP Licensing and Revenue at 860-424-3105.
  • No Physical Stamp: Upon purchase, a line noting that you have obtained the stamp is added to your license document. If purchasing online, ensure to print the updated license or download it to your mobile device.

A Trout & Salmon stamp is an integral part of fishing regulation in Connecticut, particularly for those 16 and older in designated areas. Keep an eye out for the green signs indicating where a stamp is required to fish and purple signs where it's needed only when keeping trout or salmon.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.