Urban Deer Management Sub-unit 19 & 10A

Kansas Deer Hunting Laws and Regulations

Urban deer management units were created to focus greater deer harvest in the Kansas City-to- Topeka corridor. DMU Unit 19 will host an Archery Only Whitetail Antlerless Season Jan. 25-31, 2020. Unit 10a is Fort Leavenworth and is open to active and retired military staff only.


  • Unit 9, 10, 11, and 14 permit holders, with permit season and equipment restrictions.
  • Archery permit holders during the regular archery season; the Extended Antlerless Only Whitetail season Jan. 1 -24, 2020 and DMU Unit 19 Archery-only Whitetail season, Jan. 25 - 31, 2020. Hunter orange is required of all deer hunters during any firearms season.
  • Holders of Hunt-Own-Land permits valid in Sub-unit 19, during any season with legal equipment.
  • Holders of Whitetail Antlerless-Only permits, during any season with legal equipment.
  • Holders of Any-season Either-sex Whitetail permits, during any season with legal equipment.
  • During the Extended Archery Whitetail Antlerless-only season (Jan. 25-31, 2020), all deer hunting, including archery, is closed on department-owned or -managed properties in Unit 19. 



Firearm Permit Holders:

  • Allowed to hunt with any legal equipment during the firearm season.

Legal Firearms:

  • Includes centerfire rifles and handguns (non-fully automatic) using approved bullet types.
  • Shotguns of any gauge using only slugs are permissible.


Muzzleloader Permit Holders:

  • Limited to using muzzleloading or archery equipment during the muzzleloader and firearm seasons.

Legal Muzzleloaders:

  • Rifles, pistols, or muskets loaded through the front with specified bullets of .40 inches or larger.


Archery Permit Holders:

  • Restricted to using archery equipment exclusively during the archery season, even if overlapping with muzzleloader or firearm seasons.

Legal Archery Equipment:

  • Includes longbows, recurve bows, compound bows, and crossbows.
  • No electronic devices controlling arrow flight are allowed.
  • Broadhead points on arrows must not pass through a 3/4-inch diameter ring when fully expanded.


Permitted Accessories:

  • Lures, decoys, and non-electric calls allowed for big game hunting.
  • Use of blinds, stands, and range-finding devices permitted.
  • Optical scopes or sights projecting no visible light and not electronically amplifying light are allowed.
  • Horses and mules may not be used for herding or driving big game.


  • Allowed with proper permits.


  • May be possessed during all big game seasons.
  • Only handguns specified as legal equipment for firearms or muzzleloader seasons may be used for big game hunting.



Deer Hunting Season:

  • All deer hunters and their assistants are mandated to wear blaze orange during open firearm or muzzleloader seasons.


Required Items:

  • An orange hat is mandatory for all hunters.
  • A minimum of 200 square inches of orange clothing is required.

Visibility Criteria:

  • Of the 200 square inches, 100 square inches must be visible from the front.
  • The remaining 100 square inches must be visible from the back on the upper half of the body.

Legal Camouflage Orange:

  • Camouflage patterns incorporating the required amount of orange are permissible.


Wearing blaze orange enhances visibility and promotes safety during deer hunting seasons. Adhering to these regulations ensures that hunters and their assistants are easily identifiable in the field, minimizing the risk of accidents.


Season Date Location Notes
Deer Extended Season - Firearms Antlerless 01/01/2024 - 01/07/2024 Units 6, 8, 9, 10, and 17 January Deer Season - Extended Firearms Whitetail Antlerless Only. Any permit allowing the harvest of a white-tailed antlerless deer is valid. Equipment and unit restrictions on the permit imposed. Hunter orange clothing is required.
Deer Extended Season - Firearms Antlerless 01/01/2024 - 01/21/2024 Units 10A, 12, 13, 15, and 19 only
Deer Extended Season - Firearms Antlerless 01/01/2024 - 01/14/2024 Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 14, 16
Deer Season - Pre-rut Whitetail Antlerless 10/07/2023 - 10/09/2023 Statewide - Fort Riley CLOSED Any permit for a white-tailed antlerless deer is valid. Equipment and unit restrictions on permit apply. Hunter orange clothing is required.
Deer Season - Archery 09/11/2023 - 12/31/2023 Statewide
Deer Season - Muzzleloader 09/11/2023 - 09/24/2023 Statewide Permits Allowed: Resident or nonresident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex Permit, resident Any-Season White-tailed Deer Permit, nonresident Muzzleloader White-tailed Deer Permit, Hunt-Own-Land Permit, Special Hunt-Own-Land Permit, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Permit, and Antlerless Either-Species Deer Permit. Hunter orange clothing is required.
Deer Season - Regular Firearm 11/29/2023 - 12/10/2023 Statewide
Deer Season - Youth and Disability 09/02/2023 - 09/10/2023 Statewide Eligibility: Youth 17 and younger with a valid deer permit may hunt under adult supervision. Persons with a valid deer permit and a permit to hunt from a vehicle or a disability assistance permit may also hunt. All permits are valid, and equipment restrictions designated on permits apply. Hunter orange is required.
Deer - Firearm - Smoky Hill 11/29/2023 - 12/10/2023 Smoky Hill Note: Smoky Hill ANG Firearms Deer Season
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Archery 01/22/2024 - 01/31/2024 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Ft. Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm (1st Segment) 11/11/2023 - 11/12/2023 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Ft. Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm (2nd Segment) 11/18/2023 - 11/19/2023 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Fort Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm (3rd Segment) 11/23/2023 - 11/26/2023 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Fort Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm (4th Segment) 12/02/2023 - 12/03/2023 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Fort Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm (5th Segment) 12/09/2023 - 12/10/2023 Ft. Leavenworth Note: Fort Leavenworth Deer Season (in addition to DMU 19 season dates)
Deer - Fort Leavenworth Firearm, Extended 01/01/2024 - 01/21/2024 Ft. Leavenworth
Deer - Archery - Fort Riley 09/11/2023 - 12/31/2023 Fort Riley
Deer - Firearms - Fort Riley (1st Segment) 11/24/2023 - 11/26/2023 Fort Riley
Deer - Firearms - Fort Riley (2nd Segment) 12/16/2023 - 12/23/2023 Fort Riley

Kansas Deer Hunting Laws and Regulations

Deer Permit Definitions

Permit Type Bag Limit Validity and Restrictions Application Information
RESIDENT ANY-SEASON WHITE-TAILED DEER One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed deer Valid statewide in any season with legal equipment. Available over the counter through Dec. 30 to residents and landowner/tenants only. -
RESIDENT FIREARM EITHER-SPECIES/EITHER-SEX One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed or mule deer Valid either in the West Zone or in the East Zone during the regular firearm season using any legal equipment. Available to residents and landowner/tenants by draw only (deadline to apply is June 9, 2023). Application online only.
RESIDENT MUZZLELOADER EITHER-SPECIES/EITHER-SEX One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed or mule deer Valid either in the West Zone or in the East Zone during the muzzleloader-only and regular firearm seasons using muzzleloading or archery equipment. Available over the counter through Dec. 30 to residents and landowner/tenants only. -
RESIDENT ARCHERY EITHER-SPECIES/EITHER-SEX One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed or mule deer Valid statewide with archery equipment during archery season. Available over the counter through Dec. 30 to residents and landowner/tenants only. -
NONRESIDENT MUZZLELOADER WHITE-TAILED DEER COMBO One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed deer AND one (1) white-tailed antlerless deer Available only by draw (deadline to apply is April 28, 2023). Valid in two adjacent units listed on the permit during the muzzleloader-only and regular firearm seasons. Nonresidents receiving a Muzzleloader White-tailed Deer permit in specific units may apply for Mule Deer Stamps. If drawn, the permit becomes a Nonresident Muzzleloader Either-species/Either-sex permit. Application online only.
NONRESIDENT ARCHERY WHITE-TAILED DEER COMBO One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed deer AND one (1) white-tailed antlerless deer Available only by draw (deadline to apply is April 28, 2023). Valid in two adjacent Deer Management Units listed on the permit and DMU 19 (during special seasons). Nonresidents receiving this permit in specific units may apply for Mule Deer Stamps. If drawn, the permit becomes a Nonresident Archery Either-species/Either-sex permit. Application online only.
NONRESIDENT FIREARM WHITE-TAILED DEER COMBO One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed deer AND one (1) white-tailed antlerless deer Available only by draw (deadline to apply is April 28, 2023). Valid in the unit selected and one adjacent unit listed on the permit during the regular firearm season. Application online only.
HUNT-OWN LAND One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed or mule deer Valid for any season with legal equipment, only on lands owned and operated for agricultural purposes. Available to qualifying landowners, tenants, nonresident landowners, or family members living with a resident landowner or tenant. Not transferable. -
SPECIAL HUNT-OWN-LAND One (1) buck, doe, or fawn white-tailed or mule deer Issued to a resident landowner’s or tenant’s siblings and lineal ascendants or descendants, or their spouses. Valid only on lands owned or operated by the landowner or tenant, and may be used in any season with equipment legal for that season. Limited to one per 80 acres owned or operated. Nonresidents hunting with this permit must have a nonresident hunting license. -
WHITETAIL ANTLERLESS ONLY One (1) white-tailed deer without a visible antler protruding from the skull Hunter who possess a permit that allows the taking of an antlered deer may purchase as many as five (5) Antlerless White-tailed Deer permits. Valid statewide except DMU 18, and on specific lands during any season with equipment legal for that season. -
YOUTH PERMITS (15 and younger) Varies Reduced price youth permits are valid for specified seasons and during the September youth/disabled season. Hunters 16 and younger may hunt under adult supervision during the youth season. -


Post-Harvest Instructions

Paper Tags

Upon purchase, hunters can choose between paper carcass tags or e-tags. For paper tags, the permit must be signed before hunting. Once an animal is harvested, the carcass tag should be signed, dated, and visibly attached before moving it from the harvest site. Paper permits and tags acquired online need to be printed on a desktop printer at the time of purchase.

Deer Tagging

To protect non-waterproof paper tags, place them in a clear plastic bag and attach them to the animal's leg with a zip-tie. The carcass tag must remain attached during transport and be kept with the meat until consumption, transfer, or disposal. Animals taken with antlerless-only permits must be transported with the head attached, especially avoiding areas with chronic wasting disease (CWD). Alternatively, the animal can be quartered, leaving genitalia attached to one of the rear quarters, and the spinal column and head at the hunting site. Boning out is permissible if electronically registered with photos sent to KDWPT before transportation.


Hunters opting for e-tags keep the big game permit and e-tag on their mobile device. To validate an e-tag, open the "HuntFishKS" mobile app, record the kill date and time, and submit a clear photograph of the entire carcass. The confirmation number displayed in the app must be retained on the mobile device during transport and until the meat is consumed or disposed of. This confirmation number facilitates the same process for hunters wanting to bone out an animal taken with an antlerless-only permit.


Hunters may be requested to complete an online Kansas Deer Hunter Harvest Survey at the season's end. This information aids biologists in herd management decisions. A random sample of hunters will be contacted after the season. Updating address information is crucial for those surveyed. State law mandates completion of the survey for deer hunters receiving a harvest report card (K.S.A. 32-937).

For survey-related questions or assistance, contact the KDWPT Research and Survey Office at (620) 342-0658.

Remember, your participation contributes to the management of a healthy deer herd.

Tick-Borne Diseases

Kansas Deer Hunting Laws and Regulations


Ticks pose a significant threat, carrying germs that can lead to severe diseases like tularemia, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and Lyme disease. In Kansas, around 300 people are diagnosed with tick-borne diseases annually.

Risk Factors

Hunters face an elevated risk due to the presence of ticks in grassy, brushy, wooded areas, and on animals. American dog ticks, Lone Star ticks, and Blacklegged ticks in Kansas are most likely to transmit diseases to humans and animals.

Symptoms and Treatment

Common symptoms following a tick bite include fever, rash, or flu-like illness, which may manifest seven to 21 days later. Early recognition is crucial, and hunters should promptly inform their doctor of any tick exposure or bites.

Prevention Measures

  • Permetherin-treated Clothing: Effective tick deterrent for clothing and gear, remaining potent through multiple washings.
  • Insect Repellents: EPA-registered repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, OLE, PMD, or 2-undecanone are effective on skin and clothing.
  • Dog Protection: Hunting dogs should receive tick prevention products as prescribed by a veterinarian.

Field Practices

Before venturing outdoors, hunters should:

  • Tuck pants into socks and shirts into pants.
  • Limit time on game trails.
  • Shower immediately upon return and perform a thorough body check, especially in armpits and waistlines.
  • Inspect dogs for ticks.
  • Secure outdoor-worn clothes in an airtight bag until washed; leave shoes outside.

Tularemia Note

Tularemia, a tick-borne disease, can also spread through deer flies or contact with infected animals. Hunters must wear gloves when handling sick or dead animals. Hunting dogs in contact with infected game may contract tularemia, necessitating immediate veterinary consultation. To prevent disease transmission, avoid dogs licking owners' faces.

For a comprehensive guide on tick checks and removal, visit CDC Tick Guide.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

Kansas Deer Hunting Laws and Regulations

What is CWD?

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a neurological, contagious disease affecting deer, elk, moose, and other cervids. Caused by abnormal proteins (prions) clumping in the brain, it leads to neuronal death, cytoplasmic vacuolation, and a characteristic sponge-like degeneration. Outward symptoms include emaciation, abnormal behavior, excessive salivation, and loss of bodily functions. Predators often target and consume infected animals, with symptoms appearing only in the last months before death. While most CWD-positive cervids appear normal when harvested, the disease belongs to the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) family.

Disease Impacts

The prion, resistant to environmental degradation, becomes more infective when binding to clay particles in the soil. Cervids contract CWD through contact or indirectly via a contaminated environment. Population impacts are uncertain on a larger geographic scale, but computer models suggest potential reductions in infected cervid populations over decades.

Meat Safety

There is no evidence of CWD transmission to humans, but precautions are advised due to uncertainties, similarity with other TSEs, and potentially long incubation times. Thoroughly cooking CWD-positive meat does not destroy prions, starting destruction at around 1,000 degrees F for an extended time. Hunters, especially in CWD areas, should bone out meat to avoid transporting prions and not consume meat from infected or visibly sick animals.

CWD Testing

  • University of Missouri CWD Study: Offers free testing for deer harvested outside the Southcentral (SC) Zone.
  • Testing Process: Not a food safety test but measures herd health. Results take 1-1.5 weeks at KSVDL, while the University of Missouri takes 2-4 weeks.
  • Private Testing: Hunters can submit samples privately for $28, including a $6.50 test kit and $7.50 shipping.
  • Head Submission: A $16 fee for KSVDL to sample the head and a $15.50 disposal fee.

Free CWD Testing Outside SC Zone

  • Contact: Call or text 620-402-4195 or email kscwdsurveillance@gmail.com.
  • Submission: Through KDWP offices, participating taxidermists/meat processors, or independently to the lab.
  • Notification: Hunters will be notified by phone if a deer tests positive.

Result Information

All CWD test results will be posted at KS Wildlife & Parks CWD Testing Results.

New Chronic Wasting Disease Research Project

Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism (KDWPT) invites hunters to contribute to a three-year research project aimed at understanding how different habitats influence the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) within the state's deer herd. If uncontrolled, CWD can adversely impact deer populations by altering age structures and reducing resilience, leading to a less robust and sustainable population with fewer mature individuals.

Hunter Assistance

Six designated deer management units (DMUs) will be sampled annually. Hunters harvesting deer within these DMUs can assist by submitting a CWD sample to KDWPT for testing. Each sample must include sex, age, and precise location information, allowing identification of the harvest section, such as GPS coordinates or section-township-range numbers. Hunters wanting to know the CWD test results for their deer should include their name and contact information. Testing for samples submitted under this research project is free, and hunters harvesting multiple deer can submit multiple samples. It's important to note that samples can be collected from caped deer intended for taxidermy without affecting the mount.

Resources for Hunters

  • Map for Location Information: A map with section-township-range details is available to assist hunters in providing accurate location data.
  • Video Guide: A video demonstrating the collection of lymph node tissue samples for CWD testing is accessible at KS Wildlife & Parks CWD Information.

Additional Resources

  • ArcGIS Explorer App: The map is also accessible in the ArcGIS Explorer App; search for "Kansas CWD Sampling Map" in the app.
  • Project Details: For more information about the research project, visit KS Wildlife & Parks CWD Research.

Hunting Licenses

Resident hunters in Kansas, aged 16 to 74, are required to hold a resident hunting license, unless exempt from the rule. Residency is determined by maintaining a permanent abode in the state for 60 days preceding the license purchase. Domiciliary intent, demonstrated through activities like voting, tax payment, or obtaining a driver's license, is a key factor.

Additionally, residents aged 65-74 have the option of obtaining a Senior Pass lifetime hunt/fish combination license ($42.50), senior annual hunting licenses ($15), or annual hunt/fish combination licenses ($25). Residents between the ages of 16-20 are eligible for Youth Multi-year hunting ($42.50) or hunt/fish combination licenses ($72.50), which expire at the end of the year they turn 21.

It's important to note that a resident is defined as an individual who has maintained their permanent abode in the state, and residency of at least one year is required to purchase lifetime licenses. Even if lifetime license holders no longer reside in Kansas, they are considered Kansas residents for hunting permits and tags.

Hunters also have the option to purchase a special license exclusively valid on controlled shooting areas. Nonresidents who are full-time secondary, post-secondary, or vocational students in Kansas and are living in the state may obtain resident hunting licenses and permits. However, they are not eligible to purchase lifetime licenses.

License Exemptions

Certain individuals are exempt from the requirement of having a hunting license. These include:

  1. Landowners and Tenants:

    • Owners of farm or ranch land.
    • Tenants of land leased for agriculture.
    • Immediate family members living with resident landowners or tenants.
    • Exemption applies while hunting or fur harvesting on this land.
  2. Legally-Defined Native American Kansas Residents:

    • Native American Kansas residents are exempt.
    • Free license may be obtained, subject to specific restrictions.
  3. Field Trial Permits:

    • Nonresidents using field trial permits issued by KDWP.
  4. Age-Based Exemptions:

    • Residents aged 15 and younger are exempt.
    • Residents aged 75 and older are exempt.

National Guard and Disabled Veterans Benefits

The Kansas Legislature demonstrates its commitment to supporting servicemembers and veterans through annual allocations for specific benefits:

  1. Active Members of the Kansas National Guard:

    • State park vehicle permits.
    • Hunting licenses.
    • Fishing licenses.
    • Allocations provided annually.
  2. Honorably Discharged Resident Veterans:

    • Certified with a service-related disability of 30 percent or more.
    • Eligible for hunting and fishing licenses.
    • Annual funding support from the Kansas Legislature.

Military Personnel Licensing Requirements

General Requirements for Military Personnel:

  • Hunting and Furharvesting Licenses:
    • Military personnel are required to possess hunting or furharvesting licenses.
    • Nonresident military personnel not stationed in Kansas must obtain nonresident licenses.

Residency Considerations:

  • Kansas Resident Enlistees:

    • Active-duty members, who were Kansas residents immediately before enlistment, and their immediate family members living with them, may purchase resident licenses.
    • This applies regardless of their current duty station.
  • Active-Duty Nonresident Military in Kansas:

    • Active-duty nonresident military personnel stationed in Kansas may hunt or furharvest with resident licenses.
    • Proof of active-duty status is required.

Hunter Education Requirements in Kansas

Mandatory Hunter Education

  • Born on or after July 1, 1957:

    • Individuals falling in this category must complete an approved hunter education course before hunting in Kansas.
  • Age 11 to 27:

    • Those under 27 years old must carry their hunter education card while hunting.
  • Youth 12-15:

    • Completion of hunter education allows hunting without adult supervision, except during specific youth seasons when supervision is mandatory.

Exceptions and Apprentice Licenses

  • Youth 15 and Younger:

    • They may hunt without hunter education while directly supervised by an adult 18 or older.
  • 16 and Older Without Hunter Education:

    • Individuals aged 16 or older, without hunter education, may purchase up to two apprentice hunting licenses.
    • Apprentice licenses are valid for one year, requiring direct supervision by a licensed adult 18 or older.

Special Considerations

  • Own Land Exemption:
    • Hunter education is not required while hunting on one's own land.

Certification Options

  • NRA Complete Online Course:
    • Kansas resident hunters aged 16 and older may obtain certification through the NRA Complete Online Course, available free of charge.

Certificate Access

  • Duplicate Certificates:
    • Available at no cost from KDWP regional, district, and state park offices, online, or by calling (620) 672-0773.

Trespass Regulations in Kansas

Private Land Trespass

  • Permission Requirement:

    • It is illegal to hunt, shoot, or trap on private land without the explicit permission of the landowner.
  • Hunting from Public Roads:

    • Hunting from public roads necessitates permission from the landowner adjacent to the side of the road being hunted.
  • Prohibited Areas:

    • No hunting is allowed from state or federal highways.
  • Railroad Rights-of-Way:

    • Permission from the railroad is mandatory when hunting on railroad rights-of-way.

Written Permission and Posted Land

  • “Written Permission Only” Signs:

    • Entry onto land posted with "Written Permission Only" signs requires written permission.
  • Purple Markings:

    • Land with trees or fence posts painted purple also requires written permission for entry.

Safety Concerns

  • Blinds or Treestands on Power Poles:
    • It is illegal and unsafe to mount blinds or treestands on power poles, regardless of their apparent condition.

Game Donation Protocol

Donor Information

  • Mandatory Details:
    • Game given to another person must include the donor's:
      • Name
      • Address
      • License or permit number
      • Signature
      • Date of donation

Donation Form

  • Suggested Donation Form:
    • Contact KDWP for a recommended donation form to ensure compliance with regulations.

Prohibition on Game Meat Sales

General Restriction

  • Illegal Activity:
    • Selling wild game meat is strictly prohibited.


  • Furbearer Meat:
    • Furbearer meat sales are allowed.



The following activities are strictly prohibited to ensure compliance with hunting regulations:

  1. Chemical Use in Arrows:

    • Using drugs, chemicals, or any compound with broadhead arrows for game hunting is prohibited.
  2. Motorized Pursuit:

    • Pursuing, shooting, or killing game from a motorboat, airplane, motor vehicle, or any water, air, or land vehicle is prohibited, except with a valid handicapped hunting permit. Exceptions apply for specific scenarios.
  3. Communication Devices:

    • Utilizing two-way radios or cell phones for pursuing, chasing, or hunting game animals is forbidden. Providing information on big game locations through radio or mechanical means is also prohibited.
  4. Live Decoys:

    • The use of live decoys is not allowed.
  5. Electronic Calls:

    • With the exception of hunting specific species, using electronic calls is prohibited.
  6. Spotlight Use:

    • Casting artificial light on highways, fields, or woodlands for spotting or taking wildlife is prohibited, unless hunting coyotes. Hand-held lights are permitted for specific purposes.
  7. Flight Shooting:

    • Shooting migratory doves, quail, pheasants, prairie chickens, or turkeys unless in flight or on the ground is prohibited.
  8. Drone Usage:

    • The use of drones for hunting, locating game, or taking fish is strictly prohibited. Aerial scouting is allowed on non-KDWP-managed land, but hunting on the same day as aerial scouting is prohibited.



When engaging in the hunting of ducks, geese, mergansers, coots, snipe, rails, gallinules, sandhill cranes, and moorhens, it is mandatory to use approved non-toxic shot. This requirement also extends to all shotgun hunting activities in specific wildlife areas (WA) and national wildlife refuges (NWR).

Mandatory Areas for Non-Toxic Shot

Non-toxic shot is compulsory for shotgun hunting in the following wildlife areas and national wildlife refuges:

  1. Benedictine Bottoms WA
  2. Cheyenne Bottoms WA
  3. Cherokee Lowlands WA
  4. Flint Hills NWR
  5. Gurley Salt Marsh WA
  6. Herron Playa WA
  7. Isabel Wetlands WA
  8. Jamestown WA
  9. Kirwin NWR
  10. Marais des Cygnes NWR
  11. Marais des Cygnes WA
  12. McPherson Wetlands WA
  13. Neosho WA
  14. Otter Creek WA
  15. Quivira NWR
  16. Slate Creek WA
  17. Stein Playa WA
  18. Talmo Marsh WA
  19. Texas Lake WA
  20. Wild Turkey Playa WA
  21. Other areas as posted


Hunter's Responsibility

In adherence to ethical hunting practices, hunters are obligated to make reasonable efforts to locate any game that has been wounded or killed during the hunt. Once retrieved, the harvested animals should be treated with respect, and the following guidelines must be observed:

  1. Retained Until Utilized:

    • Harvested animals must be retained until they are consumed.
    • Alternatively, they can be taken to a taxidermist or processor.
  2. Gift or Transport to Residence:

    • The retrieved game can be gifted to others who can make use of it.
    • Transportation to the hunter's residence is an acceptable option.


Legal Possession

To maintain ethical and legal hunting practices, the possession of dead game animals and furbearers is subject to the following regulations:

  1. In-Season Possession:

    • Dead game animals and furbearers may be possessed within the designated hunting season, provided the possessor holds the appropriate licenses and adheres to legal limits.
  2. Out-of-Season Possession:

    • Outside of the regular season, dead big game animals and wild turkeys may be possessed with the issuance of KDWP salvage tags.
    • Antlers found on roadkills or recovered skulls must be tagged with KDWP salvage tags before possession.


Licensing and Regulations

Hunting prairie dogs in Kansas is subject to the following regulations:

  1. Resident Exemption:

    • Kansas residents enjoy an exemption from hunting license requirements when pursuing prairie dogs.
  2. Nonresident Requirements:

    • Nonresidents must obtain a nonresident hunting license to legally hunt prairie dogs in Kansas.

Geographic Scope

  1. Wide Range:

    • Prairie dogs can be hunted statewide, offering opportunities across various regions of Kansas.
  2. Regional Concentration:

    • The highest concentration of huntable prairie dog towns is typically found in the western-most counties, particularly in the northwest.

Seasonal Considerations

  1. Year-Round Hunting:
    • Prairie dogs can be hunted year-round, with no closed season or bag limits.

Access and Landowner Permission

  1. Private Land Access:

    • Most huntable prairie dog towns are situated on private land, emphasizing the importance of obtaining landowner permission before hunting.
  2. Locating Opportunities:

    • Utilizing satellite images to identify large prairie dog towns and rural plat maps for landowner contacts is an effective strategy for locating hunting opportunities.


Licensing and Regulations

  1. License Exemptions:

    • Kansas residents are exempt from needing a hunting license to take moles or gophers.
  2. License Requirements:

    • Hunting licenses are generally required for the take of ground squirrels, woodchucks, kangaroo rats, wood rats, armadillos, porcupines, feral pigeons, starlings, house sparrows, rodents, and specific amphibians and reptiles, unless exempted.

Season and Possession Limits

  1. Year-Round Season:

    • The season for hunting these species is open year-round, allowing flexibility for hunters.
  2. Possession Limits:

    • While there is no possession limit for most species, amphibians and reptiles have a restriction – a maximum of five of any one species.

Fishing License Requirements

  1. Fishing License for Certain Species:
    • The take of bullfrogs, common snapping turtles, and softshell turtles necessitates a fishing license, falling under fishing regulations.

Commercial Harvest of Prairie Rattlesnakes

  1. Special Permits:

    • Special permits for the commercial harvest of prairie rattlesnakes are available. Prices differ based on whether the applicant holds a valid Kansas hunting license.
  2. Methods of Capture:

    • Prairie rattlesnakes may only be taken by hand, snake hook, or snake catcher during commercial harvest.

Conservation Measures

  1. Protection of Timber Rattlesnakes:
    • Timber rattlesnakes are protected, emphasizing the importance of conservation efforts for this species.


Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.