Hunter Education Certification


Individuals born on or after July 1, 1957, are obligated to fulfill an authorized hunter education course before engaging in hunting activities within the state of Kansas. For hunters under the age of 27, it is mandatory to carry their hunter education card while participating in any hunting pursuits. Certification is open to students aged 11 and above. Young hunters, aged 12-15, who have completed the hunter education course, enjoy hunting without adult supervision, except during designated youth seasons where supervision is mandatory irrespective of prior education. Exceptions are granted for youth aged 15 and below, allowing them to hunt without completing hunter education when under the direct supervision of an adult aged 18 or older.

For individuals aged 16 and above who haven't completed the hunter education requirement, there is an option to purchase up to two apprentice hunting licenses. These licenses are valid for one year from the date of purchase, with the condition that the holder must be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult aged 18 or older while engaged in hunting activities. Notably, hunter education is exempted for those hunting on their privately owned land. In cases where a duplicate hunter education certificate is needed, individuals can obtain one free from KDWPT regional, district, and state park offices or by contacting (620) 672-0773.

Fur Harvester Education Certification


Individuals born on or after July 1, 1966, are required to complete a fur harvester education course approved by KDWPT to be eligible for a fur harvester license. This certification is essential for those intending to hunt, run, or trap furbearers or trap coyotes on lands other than their own. For course details, individuals can inquire at (620) 672-5911 or visit

Hunting & Fur Harvester License


To view all Hunting Applications and fees visit Application and Fees.

All resident hunters aged 16 through 74 must have a resident hunting license unless exempt. Nonresident hunters, regardless of age, must have a nonresident license. Annual hunting licenses expire one year from the date of purchase. Resident hunters aged 65-74 qualify for Senior Pass lifetime hunt/fish combination licenses ($42.50), senior annual hunting licenses ($15), or annual hunt/fish combination licenses ($25). Residents aged 16-20 qualify for Youth Multi-year hunting ($42.50) or hunt/fish combination licenses ($72.50), which expire at the end of the year they turn 21. A resident is defined as a person who has maintained that person’s place of permanent abode in the state for 60 days before purchase. Domiciliary intent is required, evidence of which may include where a person votes, pays personal income taxes or obtains a driver's license. Residency of at least one year is required to purchase lifetime licenses. Lifetime license holders are considered Kansas residents for hunting permits and tags, even if they no longer live in Kansas. Hunters may purchase a special license that is valid only in controlled shooting areas. Nonresidents who are full-time secondary, post-secondary, or vocational students at Kansas schools and are living in Kansas may obtain resident hunting licenses and permits but must carry evidence of Kansas student status. They may NOT purchase lifetime licenses.


A fur harvester license is required to hunt, trap, or pursue (run) fur-bearing animals, or to sell their pelts. A fur harvester license is required to trap coyotes, and a hunting license is required to hunt them. The same license required to take coyotes is required to sell their pelts. Unlicensed, non-participating observers may accompany a licensed fur harvester but may not carry or use equipment, control dogs, or otherwise assist with fur harvesting activities. Residents 15 and younger may purchase a junior fur harvester license at a reduced price. Youth 13 and younger accompanied by a licensed fur harvester are exempt.

Trespass Regulations

Private Land Restrictions

Engaging in hunting, shooting, or trapping on private land without the explicit permission of the owner is strictly prohibited by law. Additionally, obtaining permission is mandatory for hunting from public roads, necessitating consent from the landowner adjacent to the side of the road being utilized for hunting. When it comes to railroad rights-of-way, hunters must secure permission directly from the railroad authorities.

Land Access Guidelines

To enter land that is posted with "Written Permission Only" signs or marked with trees or fence posts painted purple, written permission is a prerequisite. It is crucial to acquire landowner permission before pursuing wounded game onto private property. In cases where locating the landowner or obtaining permission proves challenging, hunters are advised to contact their local natural resource officer for assistance.

For additional guidance or support, hunters can reach out to their local natural resource officer.

Prohibited Practices

It is both illegal and hazardous to mount blinds or tree stands on power poles, regardless of their apparent state of abandonment. Such activities are strictly forbidden under the law.

Giving and Receiving Game

When giving game to another individual, the donor is required to provide specific information. This includes their name, address, hunting or fishing license number, or permit number (if applicable), accompanied by their signature. The date of donation should also be clearly indicated.

Sale of Game

The sale of wild game meat is strictly prohibited, encompassing both direct sales and transactions at banquets or charitable events. However, an exception exists for furbearer meat, which is permitted for sale. Please refer to the guidelines on "Disposing of Furbearers" for further details.

Wanton Waste Regulations

In compliance with regulations, hunters must diligently search for any wounded or killed game. Retrieved animals must be retained until they are:

  • Consumed for sustenance,
  • Delivered to a taxidermist or processor,
  • Gifted to another individual, or
  • Transported to the hunter's residence.

Illegal Pursuit

Restrictions on Pursuit Methods

The pursuit, shooting, or killing of any game or furbearer from an aircraft, motor car, motor boat, or any other vehicle is strictly prohibited. Exceptions to this rule include hunting activities conducted with a Disability permit, hunting waterfowl from a stationary boat, and hunting coyotes. The use of artificial light is deemed illegal, except as specified in the legal equipment regulations for furharvesting. [More information HERE]

Communication and Location Information

It is illegal to employ radio or other mechanical means to locate game animals or to share information about their location, with the exception of coyotes, as explicitly detailed in the legal methods section.

Wild Gamebird Shooting Regulations

With the exception of turkeys, shooting at any wild gamebird is prohibited unless the bird is in flight. Turkeys can be shot both on the ground and in flight; however, shooting them while perched in trees is strictly forbidden. 

Salvage Tags

Possession of Dead Game Animals and Furbearers

  • Dead game animals and furbearers may be possessed in season with proper licenses and within legal limits.

Salvage of Big Game Animals and Wild Turkeys

  • Dead big game animals and wild turkeys may be possessed outside of the season with KDWPT salvage tags.

Antler Possession Restrictions

  • Antlers may not be cut off roadkills or found skulls and possessed without this tag.

Controlled Shooting Areas

Overview: Controlled Shooting Areas (CSAs) are privately-owned and managed hunting areas licensed by KDWP, providing an extended upland game bird hunting season from Sept. 1 to March 31.


  • A special CSA hunting license is available, valid only on Kansas CSAs.
  • Alternatively, hunters may use a current Kansas hunting license to hunt on CSAs.


  • Hunter education certification is not required on CSAs with a CSA license.


  • Access to CSAs is strictly through permission of the owner/operator.
  • Trespassing is unlawful and strictly prohibited.

Information Resources:

Reptiles & Other Species


  • Kansas residents are not required to have a hunting license for taking moles or gophers.

License Requirements:

  • Hunting license is mandatory, except for Kansas residents, to take ground squirrels, woodchucks, kangaroo rats, wood rats, armadillos, porcupines, feral pigeons, starlings, house sparrows, rodents, and specific amphibians and reptiles.

Season and Limits:

  • Open year-round.
  • No possession limit, except for amphibians and reptiles – limited to five of any one species.

Special Regulations:

  • Bullfrogs, common snapping turtles, and softshell turtles require a fishing license and are governed by fishing regulations.

Commercial Harvest of Prairie Rattlesnakes:

  • Special permits are available for the commercial harvest of prairie rattlesnakes at specific rattlesnake roundups.
  • Permit cost is $7.50 for those with a valid Kansas hunting license or exempt from needing one.
  • For those without a valid hunting license, permits cost $22.50.

Harvest Methods:

  • Prairie rattlesnakes may only be taken by hand, snake hook, or snake catcher.
  • Commercial harvest applies exclusively to prairie rattlesnakes (Crotalus viridis viridis); no other rattlesnake species may be commercially taken.

Protection Status:

  • Timber rattlesnakes are protected.

Contact Information:

  • For more details, contact (620) 672-5911.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.