Boat Registration Requirements in Louisiana

Owning a boat in Louisiana offers vast opportunities for exploration and recreation. However, like vehicles, boats require proper titling and registration. Here's what you need to know about the boat registration process in Louisiana:

Who Handles Boat Registration?

  • Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in Baton Rouge: Responsible for issuing registrations and titles for all non-exempt boats and outboard motors within the state.
  • Division of Motor Vehicles: Handles boat trailer registrations and titles, similar to car registrations.

What are the Marine Registration Requirements?

  • Motorized Boats: Including sailboats 12 feet or longer must be registered unless exempt.
  • Non-motorized Houseboats: Require registration.
  • U.S. Coast Guard-documented Vessels: Need to be registered in the state.
  • Titles: Issued for boats and outboard motors of 25 horsepower or more, especially those financed or titled in another state.
  • Reporting: Ownership transfers, abandonments, and destructions must be reported within 15 days.

Visitation Period

  • 90 Days: Allowed for boats registered in another state, Coast Guard documented, or registered in a foreign country.

Registration Process in Louisiana

  • Application: Once processed, you'll receive a registration certificate with an assigned number and two decals.
  • Placement: Numbers and decals must be painted or attached to the boat according to LDWF requirements.
  • Cost: Varies from $36 to $99 based on the boat's length, valid for three years.
  • Renewal: Required within 60 days of expiration.

Additional Requirements

  • Stolen Boats: Must be reported within 5 days.
  • Tax Verification: Verification that all relevant taxes have been paid is required, often with Form R-1331.

Louisiana Required Boating Equipment Checklist

  • PFDs: Mandatory for all on personal watercraft and specific requirements for children and those on motorboats.
  • Engine Cut-off Switches: Required on certain vessels for safety.
  • Boater Education: Necessary for anyone born after Jan. 1, 1984, to operate a motorboat over 10 horsepower.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.