Table of Contents

  1. Antelope Definitions
  2. Drawing Results for Montana Hunting Licenses
  3. Antelope Licensing in Montana
  4. Antelope Licensing and Regulations in Montana
  5. Antelope Licensing for Hunters with Disabilities in Montana
  6. Montana Hunting Regulations

Antelope Definitions

  • Buck (Horned): An antelope with horns at least 4 inches long measured from the skull top. It usually indicates a mature and legal animal for hunting purposes.

  • Doe/Fawn: An antelope with horns less than 4 inches long measured from the skull top, typically females or young animals.

Drawing Results for Montana Hunting Licenses

License Drawing Results and Refund Schedules

  • Nonresident Combination: Results are released in mid-April, with refunds mailed by early May.
  • Deer & Elk Permits: Results are available by mid-April, and refunds are sent out by early May.
  • SuperTags for Various Species (Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Bison, Deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Goat, Mountain Lion): Results are announced after July 8th; no refunds are applicable.
  • Antelope Archery 900-20, Deer B, Elk B Licenses: The drawing results are released in mid-June, with refunds sent by the end of August.
  • Antelope & Antelope B: Early August for results, with refunds early September.

To check for drawing results, visit:

Antelope Licensing in Montana

900 Archery Antelope

  • Fee: $19.00 for all applicants.
  • Application Deadline: June 1.
  • Eligibility: Must be the first and only choice for applicants.
  • Drawing: Yes, required to obtain this license.

Antelope or Antelope B License

  • Fee: $19.00 for all applicants.
  • Application Deadline: June 1.
  • Drawing: Yes, required for these licenses.

Disabled Antelope Licensing

  • Fee: $19.00 for all applicants.
  • Application Deadline: June 1.
  • Special Requirement: Additional disabled antelope application fee required. For more information, individuals are encouraged to call 406-444-2950.
  • Drawing: Yes, specifically for disabled applicants.

Antelope Licensing and Regulations in Montana

Antelope License (either-sex)

  • License Validity: Allows holders to take antelope as specified on the license, with a total limit of three antelope licenses per individual per year. Only one can be an either-sex license.
  • Eligibility: Open to both resident and nonresident hunters via drawing. Nonresidents are capped at 10% of the license/permit quota as per MCA 87-2-506.
  • Drawing Quotas: Based on final quotas by the F&W Commission, which may vary from initial listings.
  • Archery Requirement: Archers must hold a valid antelope license and an archery license to hunt during Archery Only Season.

Antelope B License (doe/fawn) - Nonresident Only

  • Cost: First license through drawing, over-the-counter, or surplus is $200, with additional licenses at $50.
  • Target: Specifically for doe/fawn.
  • Availability: Nonresident hunters only.

900-20 Multi-Region Antelope Archery Only/ArchEquip Only License – Drawing Only

  • License Availability: Limited number, must be applied for via drawing.
  • License Validity: Valid for either-sex antelope.
  • Hunting Restrictions: Restricted to ArchEquip only. Hunter orange is required during the general season.
  • Application Deadline: June 1, through online system or FWP offices.
  • Priority Application: Must be listed as the first and only either-sex choice.
  • Valid Hunting Districts: In any hunting district beginning with 3, 4, 5, 6, and/or 7, except HD 313.

Antelope Licensing for Hunters with Disabilities in Montana

  • Eligibility: Specifically for individuals permanently physically disabled and non-ambulatory as defined in ARM 12.3.106.
  • License Availability: A total of 25 antelope licenses are issued through a drawing specifically for qualified disabled hunters.
  • Hunting Districts Eligibility: Offered in those antelope hunting districts that have a total quota of 50 or more antelope licenses.
  • Application Process: Applicants must use FWP-provided forms available at all FWP offices or the FWP website. Detailed information and assistance can be sought by contacting Licensing at 406-444-2950.
  • Additional Requirements: Along with the specific antelope license, applicants must have valid Conservation and Base Hunting Licenses.

Montana Hunting Regulations

Aircraft Regulations (MCA 87-6-208)

  • Unlawful Practices: Using aircraft to shoot game animals, concentrate, pursue, drive, rally, or stir up game animals is prohibited. It's also unlawful to use aircraft to locate game animals for hunting or providing such information to others on the same hunting day after being airborne.

Archery Equipment Regulations (MCA 87-6-401, CR)

  • Prohibitions: Attaching chemical or explosive devices to arrows is unlawful. Using archery equipment that doesn't meet the defined criteria during archery-only seasons or in archery-only areas is also prohibited.
  • Hunting Bow Specifications: Must be a longbow, flatbow, recurve bow, compound bow, or a combination thereof, powered solely by the bending and recovery of two limbs. It must be hand-drawn, hand-held, and the string released by the shooter's muscle power.
    • Legal bows are at least 28 inches in total length and have a maximum of 80 percent let-off as advertised by the manufacturer.
  • Arrow Specifications: Must be at least 20 inches in length, weigh no less than 300 grains with the broadhead, and have broadheads with at least two cutting edges, at least 7/8 inches at the widest point. Expandable broadheads must meet these width and weight requirements.
  • Exceptions for Disabled Hunters: Physically disabled hunters certified by FWP with the Permit To Modify Archery Equipment (PTMAE) may have exceptions to some requirements.

Prohibited Equipment

  • Crossbows, devices holding the bowstring at partial/full draw without muscle power, or any device with a gun-type stock are not considered legal hunting bows.
  • Bows or Arrows with Electronics: Using electronic or battery-powered devices attached to a bow or arrow for taking or locating game, except for camera devices for filming or lighted nocks, is prohibited.
  • Artificial Light in Sights or Arrows: Bows with sights or arrows using artificial light or luminous chemicals are not allowed, with the exception of lighted nocks.

Artificial Light Restrictions (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Prohibition: Using projected artificial light or specialized optics that project infrared light to illuminate targets is unlawful for taking any game animal or bird.
  • Rifle Scopes: Scopes projecting artificial light or infrared light for target illumination are not allowed in game animal hunting.

Baiting Regulations (MCA 87-6-401, CR)

  • Definition and Prohibition: Baiting, defined as placing or using food sources or salt to lure animals, is illegal for hunting any game animal or bird.
  • Baiting Details: Includes any activity involving the exposure, depositing, distributing, or scattering of food or salt as an attraction.

Black Bear Specific Regulations (CR)

  • Cub Protection: It is unlawful to harvest or take black bear cubs, defined as bears less than one year old.
  • Female Protection: Harvesting or taking a female black bear with cubs is also unlawful.

Check Stations (MCA 87-6-218)

  • Mandatory Stop: All hunters must stop at designated check stations to and from hunting areas, regardless of whether they have game.

Dogs in Hunting (MCA 87-6-404)

  • General Rule: Using dogs to chase game animals is typically unlawful.
  • Exceptions: Dogs may be used for hunting mountain lions and spring black bears under specific regulations and to recover or locate wounded game with a maximum 50-foot lead attached.

Evidence of Sex (MCA 87-6-406)

  • Requirement: Hunters must retain evidence of the game animal's sex with the carcass until processed, except when using a license allowing either sex to be taken.
  • Antler or Horn Restrictions: In areas with antler point or horn size limitations, hunters must retain the antlers or horns until the carcass is processed.

Firearms and Archery Equipment

  • Lawful Equipment: Firearms (various types), archery equipment, and crossbows are legal for game animals. All other methods are prohibited.
  • Scope and Caliber Regulations: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions. Rifle scopes with illuminated reticles, built-in range-finding capabilities, and "red dot" scopes are lawful.

Glandular Scents Regulation ((ARM 12.6.1016, 12.6.1017)(MCA 87-6-101))

  • Prohibition for Black Bears: Neither natural nor artificial glandular scents may be used to hunt black bears.

Hound Hunting for Black Bears

  • Resident Hunters: Residents with a valid Black Bear License may chase black bears with hounds during the spring season in open hunting districts or management units.
  • Prohibited Areas: Hound hunting and training are not allowed in occupied grizzly bear habitats, specifically listed Bear Management Units (BMUs) and geographic areas.
  • Training License: Residents with a Resident Hound Training License may pursue black bears with dogs during the training season from the end of the spring black bear season through June 15.
  • Hunting Hours: Hunting and training are permitted from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

Hound Handling and Licensing

  • Prohibitions: Releasing dogs on a black bear or allowing them to chase or hold a bear at bay is prohibited outside the open season. Retrieving loose dogs after hours is not considered a violation.
  • Licensing Requirements: Hunters using hounds must hold a valid Resident Black Bear License or a valid Class D-3 Resident Hound Training License during the respective seasons. Nonresidents must hold an appropriate Nonresident Hound License.
  • Nonresident Assistance: Nonresidents with a Class D-4 Black Bear Hound License cannot assist in the pursuit of black bears for harvest. Restrictions and quotas on licenses apply.
  • Equipment: While hunting or training with hounds, dogs must wear tracking collars capable of sending GPS location information and receiving transmissions from the handler for recall. The handler's receiver must be able to receive GPS location data from the collars.

Hunter Harassment Laws (MCA 87-6-215)

  • Unlawful Acts: It is illegal to intentionally interfere with the lawful taking of a wild animal or disturb an individual lawfully engaged in the taking of a wild animal with the intent to prevent the harvest.

Hunting Hours (CR)

  • General Rule: Hunting hours for game animals start one-half hour before sunrise and end one-half hour after sunset each day of the hunting season. Official Sunrise-Sunset Tables provide specific times.

Hunter Orange Requirement (MCA 87-6-414)

  • Visibility Requirement: When hunting game animals, hunters must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material above the waist, visible at all times.
  • Exemptions: Bowhunters during special archery season and those hunting wolves outside the general deer and elk season are exempt unless they are bowhunting wolf during any general firearm season for other game animals.

Incidental Harvest and Unlawfully Taken Animals

  • Procedure: In case of accidentally shooting an unlawfully taken animal, hunters should immediately notify FWP or call 1-800-TIP-MONT and await instructions before transporting the animal.
  • Recommendation: Field dress the animal but do not transport it until receiving guidance.

Indian Reservations (MCA 87-6-204, CR)

  • Regulation: Hunting of game animals within the exterior boundaries of Montana’s Indian Reservations is closed to those using state licenses unless allowed under a cooperative agreement between the Tribal Government and the State of Montana.
  • Current Status: There are no existing cooperative agreements for hunting game animals by nonmembers with a state license. Contact FWP for updates or more information.

Inspection by Warden (MCA 87-1-502, 87-6-218)

  • Requirement: Hunters must present game animals, birds, fish, and furbearers for inspection to FWP Enforcement personnel upon request.

Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC)

  • Member State Recognition: Montana is a member of the IWVC, where member states recognize suspensions of hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges across state lines.
  • Prohibition for Violators: It's unlawful for anyone with suspended privileges to obtain or attempt to obtain a license, tag, or permit in any member state.

Kill Site Verification (ARM 12.6.1005)

  • Requirement: Hunters must return to the kill site of any game animal, bird, wolf, or furbearer at the request of a FWP game warden.

Landowner Permission (MCA 87-6-415)

  • Mandatory Permission: Hunting on private property requires explicit permission from the landowner, lessee, or their agents, regardless of whether the land is posted.
  • Definition of Hunting: Includes entering private land to retrieve wildlife or to access public land for hunting purposes.

License and Permit Possession/Use (MCA 87-6-304, MCA 87-6-305)

  • One Permit Rule: Individuals cannot possess more than one of the same class of license, permit, or tag or more than one special license for any species unless authorized.
  • Carrying Requirement: All hunters must carry the required licenses or permits while hunting.
  • Inspection Compliance: Hunters must not refuse to exhibit their license or permit and identification to a warden upon request.
  • Alteration and Transfer Prohibitions: Altering, loaning, or transferring licenses is illegal, as is attaching a license to a game animal killed by another or using another's license.
  • Unlawful Possession: It's an offense to knowingly carry or control a valid and unused hunting license or permit issued to another person while in a hunting area.

License Validation and Tagging (MCA 87-6-411)

  • Validation at Kill Site: Before removing the carcass or leaving the kill site, the hunter must physically possess the game animal by electronically validating the license or tag or manually cutting out and attaching the date of kill.
  • Attachment Requirement: A non-electronically validated license or tag must remain attached to the carcass until it's consumed.
  • Tagging Restriction: Hunters cannot tag or validate a game animal with a license or tag restricted to a different hunting district.

Littering (MCA 75-10-212, 87-6-920)

  • Prohibition: Dumping or leaving garbage, dead animals, or debris on public or private property, near public pathways, or in recreational areas is unlawful.
  • Penalties: Conviction for littering can lead to the forfeiture of current hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses and a one-year suspension of these privileges from the date of conviction.

Marked or Radio-Collared Animals (CR)

  • Legal Status: It is lawful to hunt game animals with radio collars or other markers, but such collars or markers must be returned to FWP.
  • Reporting: Hunters should report the harvest of marked animals to the local FWP office.

Motion-tracking Devices (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Restrictions: Use of electronic motion-tracking devices designed to relay real-time movement information of game animals to hunters is prohibited.
  • Exceptions: Radio-tracking collars attached to dogs for lawful hunting activities are not considered unlawful.

Motorized Vehicles (MCA 87-6-405)

  • Hunting from Vehicles: Hunting from any motorized or drawn vehicle is illegal unless the hunter is physically outside the vehicle with two feet on the ground. Special permits allow exceptions.
  • Harassment and Off-road Use: Using motorized vehicles to harass game animals or off-road on state land while hunting is prohibited.
  • Travel Restrictions: Restrictions apply to motor-driven vehicles on state land roads or trails unless posted otherwise or with landowner permission.

Off Road - Federal Lands (CR)

  • Travel Limits: Operating motorized vehicles off legal routes on federal public lands is prohibited, in line with federally approved travel plans. Contact relevant land management agencies for detailed travel information.

Boats (MCA 87-6-207)

  • Restrictions: Using a motorboat or sailboat for hunting upland game birds, migratory birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals is prohibited until the motor is off or sails are furled, and the boat's progress has ceased.

Indian Reservation Trust Lands

  • Regulations: Some reservations offer hunting opportunities under specific conditions. Engaging in outfitting or guiding without proper licensure is prohibited.

Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)

  • Unlawful Possession: Possessing parts of unlawfully taken wildlife is prohibited, with certain exemptions for lawfully obtained items or natural finds.

Vehicle Killed Wildlife Salvage (MCA 87-3-145) (ARM 12.3.186)

  • Permit Requirement: A Vehicle-Killed Wildlife Salvage Permit is required to take and possess carcasses and parts of certain animals killed in vehicular collisions.

Recovery of Natural Cause Mortalities (MCA 87-3-315)

  • Mountain Sheep Horns and Skulls: Recovery and possession of horns and skulls from naturally deceased mountain sheep are permitted under specific conditions, including reporting and inspection.

Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)

  • Resident Registration: OHVs must be registered with the county treasurer and display a current off-highway permanent registration decal for off-road recreation on public lands. To use OHVs on roads, they must be street-legal and registered.
  • Nonresident Permit: Nonresidents must obtain a nonresident temporary-use permit to operate OHVs in Montana, valid for one calendar year.
  • Trail Pass: Resident hunters using "summer motorized recreation trails" need a summer motorized recreation trail pass, valid for two years.

Outfitters and Guides (MCA 37-47-301)

  • Licensing Requirement: Acting as an outfitter or guide or representing oneself as such without a license is unlawful.

Predatory Animals and Nongame Hunting

  • License Exemption: Predatory animals and nongame species can be hunted year-round without a license by both residents and nonresidents, except on State School Trust lands where a conservation license or recreational use license is required.
  • Predatory Animals: Includes coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk).
  • Nongame Species: Defined as any wild animal not classified by statute or regulation, such as badger, raccoon, red fox, hares, rabbits, ground squirrels, marmots, tree squirrels, porcupines, and prairie dog.
  • Private Land Permission: Necessary for hunting predatory animals and nongame species.

Public Roadways (MCA 87-6-403)

  • Hunting Prohibition: Hunting from, on, or across any public highway or its right-of-way is unlawful.

Recorded Animal Sounds (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Usage: It's illegal to use recorded or amplified bird or animal calls to hunt wildlife, except for predatory animals, wolves, and unprotected birds.

Simulated Wildlife (MCA 87-6-217)

  • Discharging at Decoys: Unlawful to shoot at wildlife decoys in violation of state statutes, administrative rules, or F&W Commission rules.

Transport of Wildlife

  • Transport Regulations: Lawfully taken and tagged game must comply with evidence of sex requirements during transport. It's illegal to transport unlawfully taken game, especially across state lines, without adhering to federal and state laws, including the Lacey Act.

Traps (MCA 87-6-601)

  • Tampering Prohibition: Destroying, disturbing, or removing traps or wildlife from another's trap without permission is illegal.

Two-way Communication (ARM 12.6.1010)

  • Restrictions: Prohibited while hunting game animals or wolves, during mountain lion or bobcat hunts with dogs, to avoid check stations, or to facilitate illegal hunting.
  • Exemptions: Permitted for safety and other legitimate purposes.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) (CR)

  • Drone Restrictions: UAVs/drones may not be used to locate game for hunting on the same day the device has been airborne or to provide information for others to hunt on that day.

Waste of Game (MCA 87-6-205)

  • Prohibition: It is prohibited to waste or render unfit for human consumption any part of a game animal that is suitable for food, including all four quarters of game animals (excluding mountain lions).

Hunter Access and Regulations in Montana

Hunter Access Responsibilities

  • Land Knowledge: Hunters are responsible for knowing their location, the land ownership, and any access restrictions. Information is available through FWP's Block Management Program.

Fishing Access Sites

  • Hunting Opportunities: Many fishing access sites offer hunting with specific safety zones and weapon restrictions. Detailed information is available on the Fishing Access Site webpage.

Federal Land Access

  • National Parks Service: Closed to hunting, but other National Park Service lands may have specific regulations.
  • National Wildlife Refuges: May have more restrictive species-specific regulations. Contact the specific refuge for information.
  • U.S. Forest Service & Bureau of Land Management: Area-specific closures or restrictions apply. Contact regional offices for details.
  • Other Federal Lands: Contact local federal land management agencies for any restrictions.

Unlawful Posting

  • State or Federal Land: It's illegal to knowingly restrict access or use of state or federal land.

Indian Reservation Trust Lands

  • Hunting Opportunities: Some reservations offer hunting with tribal licenses. Contact the appropriate tribal government for more information.

Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)

  • Prohibitions: Illegal to possess parts of unlawfully taken wildlife, with specific exceptions for lawfully obtained parts and natural finds.

Transport of Wildlife

  • Regulations: Ensure lawfully taken and tagged game complies with regulations. Violations of transport laws, including crossing state lines with unlawfully taken game, are subject to the Lacey Act.

Traps and Two-way Communication

  • Traps: Illegal to tamper with or remove wildlife from another's trap without permission.
  • Two-way Communication: Restrictions apply during hunting to aid in the taking or locating of live animals and to avoid game check stations or enforcement personnel.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)

  • Drone Use: Prohibited in locating game animals for hunting purposes on the same hunting day the UAV has been airborne.

Waste of Game (MCA 87-6-205)

  • Utilization: It's required to utilize all suitable parts of a game animal for food.

Montana State Parks

  • Hunting Opportunities: Some state parks provide hunting with specific restrictions. Contact the park or visit the Montana State Parks website for details.

Railroad Access

  • Private Property: Railroads and their right-of-way are private and require permission for hunting or access.

State School Trust Lands

  • Access and Use: A Conservation License is required for related activities, with specific rules for overnight use, motorized travel, and firearm discharge.

State Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

  • Open Seasons: Generally open to hunting during the game animal season, but closures apply during specific times of the year. Contact regional offices or visit the FWP website for WMA-specific information.

Stream Access Law

  • Landowner Permission: Required for hunting game animals between the high water marks of streams and rivers.

FAQs for Antelope Hunting in Montana

  1. What types of antelope licenses are available in Montana?

    • There are typically three: Antelope License (either-sex), Antelope B License (doe/fawn for nonresidents), and 900-20 Multi-Region Antelope Archery Only License.
  2. How many antelope licenses can an individual hold?

    • An individual may hold up to three antelope licenses, but only one can be an either-sex license.
  3. Who is eligible for antelope licenses in Montana?

    • Both resident and nonresident hunters can apply, subject to specific quotas and eligibility criteria.
  4. What is the nonresident quota for antelope licenses?

    • By state law, nonresidents are limited to, but not guaranteed, 10 percent of the license and/or permit quota.
  5. What is the Antelope B License?

    • It's specifically for nonresidents to hunt doe/fawn antelope, with the first license costing $200 and additional ones at $50.
  6. What is the 900-20 Multi-Region Antelope Archery Only License?

    • It's a limited license valid for either-sex antelope, restricted to Archery Only hunting in specified regions.
  7. Can archers hunt antelope during the General Season?

    • Yes, but they must hold a valid antelope license and a bow and arrow (archery) license, and they must wear hunter orange.
  8. When is the application deadline for antelope licenses?

    • Typically, June 1st for antelope licenses through online or over-the-counter submissions.
  9. Where can I apply for an antelope license?

    • Applications can be made online at FWP's official website or over the counter at FWP offices.
  10. Are there special antelope licenses for disabled hunters?

    • Yes, Montana offers 25 antelope licenses through a drawing for hunters who are permanently physically disabled and nonambulatory.
  11. What do disabled hunters need to apply for an antelope license?

    • They need a Permit to Hunt From a Vehicle (PTHFV), a valid Conservation License, a Base Hunting License, and a General Elk License if applying for an elk permit.
  12. In which hunting districts are disabled hunter antelope licenses available?

    • In districts with a total quota of 50 or more antelope licenses.
  13. What is required for the 900-20 Multi-Region Antelope License application?

    • Hunters must list it as their first and only either-sex choice and apply by the June 1st deadline.
  14. Can nonresident hunters apply for antelope B licenses?

    • Yes, nonresident hunters can apply specifically for antelope B licenses, primarily for doe/fawn.
  15. How are the final quotas for antelope licenses determined?

    • They are based upon the final quotas adopted by the Fish and Wildlife Commission, which may differ from the quotas listed in the hunting district regulations.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.