Table of Contents

Obtaining a License or Permit in Montana

  • General Rules for Licenses and Permits
  • Online Licensing
  • Drawing Applications for Elk Hunting in Montana

Elk Licenses & Permits in Montana

  • General Elk License
  • Elk B License
  • Elk Permit

Montana Hunting Regulations

  • Aircraft Regulations
  • Archery Equipment Regulations
  • Artificial Light Restrictions
  • Baiting Regulations
  • Black Bear Specific Regulations
  • Check Stations
  • Dogs in Hunting
  • Evidence of Sex
  • Firearms and Archery Equipment
  • Glandular Scents Regulation
  • Hound Hunting for Black Bears
  • Hunter Harassment Laws
  • Hunting Hours
  • Hunter Orange Requirement
  • Incidental Harvest and Unlawfully Taken Animals
  • Indian Reservations
  • Inspection by Warden
  • Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact
  • Kill Site Verification
  • Landowner Permission
  • License and Permit Possession/Use
  • License Validation and Tagging
  • Littering
  • Marked or Radio-Collared Animals
  • Motion-tracking Devices
  • Motorized Vehicles
  • Off Road - Federal Lands
  • Boats

Indian Reservation Trust Lands

  • Regulations
  • Possession of Wildlife Parts
  • Vehicle Killed Wildlife Salvage
  • Recovery of Natural Cause Mortalities

Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)

  • Resident Registration
  • Nonresident Permit
  • Trail Pass

Outfitters and Guides

  • Licensing Requirement

Predatory Animals and Nongame Hunting

  • License Exemption
  • Predatory Animals
  • Nongame Species
  • Private Land Permission

Public Roadways

  • Hunting Prohibition

Recorded Animal Sounds

  • Usage

Simulated Wildlife

  • Discharging at Decoys

Transport of Wildlife

  • Transport Regulations


  • Tampering Prohibition

Two-way Communication

  • Restrictions
  • Exemptions

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)

  • Drone Restrictions

Waste of Game

  • Prohibition

Hunter Access and Regulations in Montana

  • Hunter Access Responsibilities
  • Fishing Access Sites
  • Federal Land Access
  • Unlawful Posting

Montana State Parks

  • Hunting Opportunities

Railroad Access

  • Private Property

State School Trust Lands

  • Access and Use

State Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

  • Open Seasons

Stream Access Law

  • Landowner Permission

Obtaining a License or Permit in Montana

General Rules for Licenses and Permits (MCA 87-2-104 & 87-2-704)

  • One License/Permit Per Year: Generally, hunters may purchase only one of each type of license or permit each year, with specific exceptions.
  • Purchasing Locations: Licenses or permits can be acquired from FWP license providers, FWP offices, or online. Some are only available through a drawing.
  • Reference for Availability: For a complete list of available licenses and permits, along with application or purchase deadlines, refer to the Licenses Available Chart.

Online Licensing

  • Special Permits/Licenses Requirement: Hunters are required to apply for special permits/licenses online or at an FWP office, ensuring accurate and secure applications.
  • Operating Hours: Typically, services are available from approximately 5 a.m. to 11:45 p.m., Montana local time, seven days a week, subject to sales dates.
  • Instructions and Access: Visit and follow the instructions for detailed application and purchase processes.
  • Accepted Payments: Transactions can be made using MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express, or a debit card.
  • Montana Residents' First License: Residents can purchase their initial licenses online through the OLS or at any provider with a valid Montana driver's license issued at least six months prior.
  • Finality of Purchase: All transactions are final and irreversible as stipulated in ARM 12.3.601.

Drawing Applications for Elk Hunting in Montana

Drawing Application Deadlines

  • Elk Permits Applications: Must be submitted on or before April 1 for deer and elk permits.
  • Other License Applications: For deer B, elk B, antelope, and/or antelope B licenses, applications must be submitted on or before June 1.

Eligibility and Quotas

  • Resident and Nonresident Eligibility: Both resident and nonresident hunters may apply for most licenses available through drawings.
  • Nonresident Limitation: By state law, nonresidents are capped at, but not guaranteed, 10% of the license and/or permit quota.

Drawing Process

  • Quota Consideration: Drawings are based on the final quotas adopted by the F&W Commission, which might vary from the printed hunting district regulations.
  • District Regulations: For specific license/permit opportunities and quotas, refer to the hunting district regulations.

Party Applications

  • Definition of a Party: In Montana, a “party” is a group of 2-5 persons applying together for a license or permit. Each hunter is responsible for their own game if successful.
  • Application Process: Party members must choose the same opportunity type and bonus/preference point participation and apply online using a party number assigned to the establisher.

Licenses and Permits Through a Drawing

  • Restricted Area/Time Permits: Permits and licenses allow hunting in otherwise restricted areas or periods and the option to participate in a bonus point system.
  • General License Prerequisite: Residents must hold a General Deer License before applying for a deer permit and a General Elk License before applying for an elk permit.

Elk-Specific Licensing

  • Elk Permit Application: Residents applying for elk permits need to hold a General Elk License as a prerequisite.
  • Combination Licenses for Nonresidents: Nonresidents must apply for a Big Game or Elk Combination License when applying for an elk permit, aligning with specific elk hunting opportunities.
  • Landowner-Sponsored Restrictions: Nonresident holders of a Landowner-Sponsored Deer Combination License should note restrictions on hunting locations and the applicability of the license for deer hunting only on the deeded lands of the sponsoring landowner.
  • Additional Applications for Landowner-Sponsored Licenses: Holders may apply for a deer permit or deer B license only in the hunting district where authorized to hunt deer.

Elk Licenses & Permits in Montana

General Elk License

  • Validity: The General Elk License is valid for one elk and is applicable as indicated under the “General Elk License” section in the deer and elk hunting district pages.
  • Resident Purchasing: Residents may purchase this license for $20 (plus required Conservation License and Base Hunting License fees) over the counter at FWP offices or other providers. Discounts may be available for disabled, youth, and senior hunters.
  • Nonresident Acquisition: Nonresidents typically cannot buy their General Elk License over the counter. They must secure it through the drawing for one of the 17,000 Big Game Combination Licenses by April 1. This license also allows for fishing and upland bird hunting and may include deer.

Elk B License

  • Purpose and Validity: The Elk B License is specific to antlerless elk during designated times and districts, often aimed at population control and typically valid on private land.
  • Obtaining: Acquired through the drawing with a June 1 application deadline. Unlimited (UNL) elk B licenses are available over the counter or online without a cap on the number sold.
  • Prerequisites: Requires a Conservation License and Base Hunting License.
  • Possession Limits: A hunter may possess up to three elk licenses in a year, only one of which can be a General Elk License. Surplus sales and late shoulder season antlerless elk B licenses are included in the limit.
  • District Restrictions: Hunting opportunities and locations may be restricted. Refer to individual hunting districts for details.

Elk Permit

  • Allocation Method: Allotted solely by drawing with an April 1 application deadline. Residents must have a General Elk License, and nonresidents must have an Elk or Big Game Elk Combination License before applying.
  • Purpose: Elk permits are used in conjunction with a general license and allow hunting in restricted areas or time periods. They do not permit the harvesting of additional elk beyond the general license.
  • Type and Limitations: Permits for either-sex elk or brow-tined bull-antlerless elk specify hunting for antlered elk only within the designated hunting district and period. A general license can be used outside these specifics in any open district.
  • Considerations: Hunters should familiarize themselves with the hunting district's geography and access rules before applying for a permit, especially considering backcountry areas or districts with predominant private lands.
  • Special Permits: In many districts, special permits are required for hunting bull elk, brow-tined bull elk, or antlerless elk during parts or all of the hunting seasons.

Montana Hunting Regulations

Aircraft Regulations (MCA 87-6-208)

  • Unlawful Practices: Using aircraft to shoot game animals, concentrate, pursue, drive, rally, or stir up game animals is prohibited. It's also unlawful to use aircraft to locate game animals for hunting or providing such information to others on the same hunting day after being airborne.

Archery Equipment Regulations (MCA 87-6-401, CR)

  • Prohibitions: Attaching chemical or explosive devices to arrows is unlawful. Using archery equipment that doesn't meet the defined criteria during archery-only seasons or in archery-only areas is also prohibited.
  • Hunting Bow Specifications: Must be a longbow, flatbow, recurve bow, compound bow, or a combination thereof, powered solely by the bending and recovery of two limbs. It must be hand-drawn, hand-held, and the string released by the shooter's muscle power.
    • Legal bows are at least 28 inches in total length and have a maximum of 80 percent let-off as advertised by the manufacturer.
  • Arrow Specifications: Must be at least 20 inches in length, weigh no less than 300 grains with the broadhead, and have broadheads with at least two cutting edges, at least 7/8 inches at the widest point. Expandable broadheads must meet these width and weight requirements.
  • Exceptions for Disabled Hunters: Physically disabled hunters certified by FWP with the Permit To Modify Archery Equipment (PTMAE) may have exceptions to some requirements.

Prohibited Equipment

  • Crossbows, devices holding the bowstring at partial/full draw without muscle power, or any device with a gun-type stock are not considered legal hunting bows.
  • Bows or Arrows with Electronics: Using electronic or battery-powered devices attached to a bow or arrow for taking or locating game, except for camera devices for filming or lighted nocks, is prohibited.
  • Artificial Light in Sights or Arrows: Bows with sights or arrows using artificial light or luminous chemicals are not allowed, with the exception of lighted nocks.

Artificial Light Restrictions (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Prohibition: Using projected artificial light or specialized optics that project infrared light to illuminate targets is unlawful for taking any game animal or bird.
  • Rifle Scopes: Scopes projecting artificial light or infrared light for target illumination are not allowed in game animal hunting.

Baiting Regulations (MCA 87-6-401, CR)

  • Definition and Prohibition: Baiting, defined as placing or using food sources or salt to lure animals, is illegal for hunting any game animal or bird.
  • Baiting Details: Includes any activity involving the exposure, depositing, distributing, or scattering of food or salt as an attraction.

Black Bear Specific Regulations (CR)

  • Cub Protection: It is unlawful to harvest or take black bear cubs, defined as bears less than one year old.
  • Female Protection: Harvesting or taking a female black bear with cubs is also unlawful.

Check Stations (MCA 87-6-218)

  • Mandatory Stop: All hunters must stop at designated check stations to and from hunting areas, regardless of whether they have game.

Dogs in Hunting (MCA 87-6-404)

  • General Rule: Using dogs to chase game animals is typically unlawful.
  • Exceptions: Dogs may be used for hunting mountain lions and spring black bears under specific regulations and to recover or locate wounded game with a maximum 50-foot lead attached.

Evidence of Sex (MCA 87-6-406)

  • Requirement: Hunters must retain evidence of the game animal's sex with the carcass until processed, except when using a license allowing either sex to be taken.
  • Antler or Horn Restrictions: In areas with antler point or horn size limitations, hunters must retain the antlers or horns until the carcass is processed.

Firearms and Archery Equipment

  • Lawful Equipment: Firearms (various types), archery equipment, and crossbows are legal for game animals. All other methods are prohibited.
  • Scope and Caliber Regulations: There are no caliber or magazine capacity restrictions. Rifle scopes with illuminated reticles, built-in range-finding capabilities, and "red dot" scopes are lawful.

Glandular Scents Regulation ((ARM 12.6.1016, 12.6.1017)(MCA 87-6-101))

  • Prohibition for Black Bears: Neither natural nor artificial glandular scents may be used to hunt black bears.

Hound Hunting for Black Bears

  • Resident Hunters: Residents with a valid Black Bear License may chase black bears with hounds during the spring season in open hunting districts or management units.
  • Prohibited Areas: Hound hunting and training are not allowed in occupied grizzly bear habitats, specifically listed Bear Management Units (BMUs) and geographic areas.
  • Training License: Residents with a Resident Hound Training License may pursue black bears with dogs during the training season from the end of the spring black bear season through June 15.
  • Hunting Hours: Hunting and training are permitted from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

Hound Handling and Licensing

  • Prohibitions: Releasing dogs on a black bear or allowing them to chase or hold a bear at bay is prohibited outside the open season. Retrieving loose dogs after hours is not considered a violation.
  • Licensing Requirements: Hunters using hounds must hold a valid Resident Black Bear License or a valid Class D-3 Resident Hound Training License during the respective seasons. Nonresidents must hold an appropriate Nonresident Hound License.
  • Nonresident Assistance: Nonresidents with a Class D-4 Black Bear Hound License cannot assist in the pursuit of black bears for harvest. Restrictions and quotas on licenses apply.
  • Equipment: While hunting or training with hounds, dogs must wear tracking collars capable of sending GPS location information and receiving transmissions from the handler for recall. The handler's receiver must be able to receive GPS location data from the collars.

Hunter Harassment Laws (MCA 87-6-215)

  • Unlawful Acts: It is illegal to intentionally interfere with the lawful taking of a wild animal or disturb an individual lawfully engaged in the taking of a wild animal with the intent to prevent the harvest.

Hunting Hours (CR)

  • General Rule: Hunting hours for game animals start one-half hour before sunrise and end one-half hour after sunset each day of the hunting season. Official Sunrise-Sunset Tables provide specific times.

Hunter Orange Requirement (MCA 87-6-414)

  • Visibility Requirement: When hunting game animals, hunters must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material above the waist, visible at all times.
  • Exemptions: Bowhunters during special archery season and those hunting wolves outside the general deer and elk season are exempt unless they are bowhunting wolf during any general firearm season for other game animals.

Incidental Harvest and Unlawfully Taken Animals

  • Procedure: In case of accidentally shooting an unlawfully taken animal, hunters should immediately notify FWP or call 1-800-TIP-MONT and await instructions before transporting the animal.
  • Recommendation: Field dress the animal but do not transport it until receiving guidance.

Indian Reservations (MCA 87-6-204, CR)

  • Regulation: Hunting of game animals within the exterior boundaries of Montana’s Indian Reservations is closed to those using state licenses unless allowed under a cooperative agreement between the Tribal Government and the State of Montana.
  • Current Status: There are no existing cooperative agreements for hunting game animals by nonmembers with a state license. Contact FWP for updates or more information.

Inspection by Warden (MCA 87-1-502, 87-6-218)

  • Requirement: Hunters must present game animals, birds, fish, and furbearers for inspection to FWP Enforcement personnel upon request.

Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact (IWVC)

  • Member State Recognition: Montana is a member of the IWVC, where member states recognize suspensions of hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges across state lines.
  • Prohibition for Violators: It's unlawful for anyone with suspended privileges to obtain or attempt to obtain a license, tag, or permit in any member state.

Kill Site Verification (ARM 12.6.1005)

  • Requirement: Hunters must return to the kill site of any game animal, bird, wolf, or furbearer at the request of a FWP game warden.

Landowner Permission (MCA 87-6-415)

  • Mandatory Permission: Hunting on private property requires explicit permission from the landowner, lessee, or their agents, regardless of whether the land is posted.
  • Definition of Hunting: Includes entering private land to retrieve wildlife or to access public land for hunting purposes.

License and Permit Possession/Use (MCA 87-6-304, MCA 87-6-305)

  • One Permit Rule: Individuals cannot possess more than one of the same class of license, permit, or tag or more than one special license for any species unless authorized.
  • Carrying Requirement: All hunters must carry the required licenses or permits while hunting.
  • Inspection Compliance: Hunters must not refuse to exhibit their license or permit and identification to a warden upon request.
  • Alteration and Transfer Prohibitions: Altering, loaning, or transferring licenses is illegal, as is attaching a license to a game animal killed by another or using another's license.
  • Unlawful Possession: It's an offense to knowingly carry or control a valid and unused hunting license or permit issued to another person while in a hunting area.

License Validation and Tagging (MCA 87-6-411)

  • Validation at Kill Site: Before removing the carcass or leaving the kill site, the hunter must physically possess the game animal by electronically validating the license or tag or manually cutting out and attaching the date of kill.
  • Attachment Requirement: A non-electronically validated license or tag must remain attached to the carcass until it's consumed.
  • Tagging Restriction: Hunters cannot tag or validate a game animal with a license or tag restricted to a different hunting district.

Littering (MCA 75-10-212, 87-6-920)

  • Prohibition: Dumping or leaving garbage, dead animals, or debris on public or private property, near public pathways, or in recreational areas is unlawful.
  • Penalties: Conviction for littering can lead to the forfeiture of current hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses and a one-year suspension of these privileges from the date of conviction.

Marked or Radio-Collared Animals (CR)

  • Legal Status: It is lawful to hunt game animals with radio collars or other markers, but such collars or markers must be returned to FWP.
  • Reporting: Hunters should report the harvest of marked animals to the local FWP office.

Motion-tracking Devices (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Restrictions: Use of electronic motion-tracking devices designed to relay real-time movement information of game animals to hunters is prohibited.
  • Exceptions: Radio-tracking collars attached to dogs for lawful hunting activities are not considered unlawful.

Motorized Vehicles (MCA 87-6-405)

  • Hunting from Vehicles: Hunting from any motorized or drawn vehicle is illegal unless the hunter is physically outside the vehicle with two feet on the ground. Special permits allow exceptions.
  • Harassment and Off-road Use: Using motorized vehicles to harass game animals or off-road on state land while hunting is prohibited.
  • Travel Restrictions: Restrictions apply to motor-driven vehicles on state land roads or trails unless posted otherwise or with landowner permission.

Off Road - Federal Lands (CR)

  • Travel Limits: Operating motorized vehicles off legal routes on federal public lands is prohibited, in line with federally approved travel plans. Contact relevant land management agencies for detailed travel information.

Boats (MCA 87-6-207)

  • Restrictions: Using a motorboat or sailboat for hunting upland game birds, migratory birds, game animals, or fur-bearing animals is prohibited until the motor is off or sails are furled, and the boat's progress has ceased.

Indian Reservation Trust Lands

  • Regulations: Some reservations offer hunting opportunities under specific conditions. Engaging in outfitting or guiding without proper licensure is prohibited.

Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)

  • Unlawful Possession: Possessing parts of unlawfully taken wildlife is prohibited, with certain exemptions for lawfully obtained items or natural finds.

Vehicle Killed Wildlife Salvage (MCA 87-3-145) (ARM 12.3.186)

  • Permit Requirement: A Vehicle-Killed Wildlife Salvage Permit is required to take and possess carcasses and parts of certain animals killed in vehicular collisions.

Recovery of Natural Cause Mortalities (MCA 87-3-315)

  • Mountain Sheep Horns and Skulls: Recovery and possession of horns and skulls from naturally deceased mountain sheep are permitted under specific conditions, including reporting and inspection.

Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)

  • Resident Registration: OHVs must be registered with the county treasurer and display a current off-highway permanent registration decal for off-road recreation on public lands. To use OHVs on roads, they must be street-legal and registered.
  • Nonresident Permit: Nonresidents must obtain a nonresident temporary-use permit to operate OHVs in Montana, valid for one calendar year.
  • Trail Pass: Resident hunters using "summer motorized recreation trails" need a summer motorized recreation trail pass, valid for two years.

Outfitters and Guides (MCA 37-47-301)

  • Licensing Requirement: Acting as an outfitter or guide or representing oneself as such without a license is unlawful.

Predatory Animals and Nongame Hunting

  • License Exemption: Predatory animals and nongame species can be hunted year-round without a license by both residents and nonresidents, except on State School Trust lands where a conservation license or recreational use license is required.
  • Predatory Animals: Includes coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk).
  • Nongame Species: Defined as any wild animal not classified by statute or regulation, such as badger, raccoon, red fox, hares, rabbits, ground squirrels, marmots, tree squirrels, porcupines, and prairie dog.
  • Private Land Permission: Necessary for hunting predatory animals and nongame species.

Public Roadways (MCA 87-6-403)

  • Hunting Prohibition: Hunting from, on, or across any public highway or its right-of-way is unlawful.

Recorded Animal Sounds (MCA 87-6-401)

  • Usage: It's illegal to use recorded or amplified bird or animal calls to hunt wildlife, except for predatory animals, wolves, and unprotected birds.

Simulated Wildlife (MCA 87-6-217)

  • Discharging at Decoys: Unlawful to shoot at wildlife decoys in violation of state statutes, administrative rules, or F&W Commission rules.

Transport of Wildlife

  • Transport Regulations: Lawfully taken and tagged game must comply with evidence of sex requirements during transport. It's illegal to transport unlawfully taken game, especially across state lines, without adhering to federal and state laws, including the Lacey Act.

Traps (MCA 87-6-601)

  • Tampering Prohibition: Destroying, disturbing, or removing traps or wildlife from another's trap without permission is illegal.

Two-way Communication (ARM 12.6.1010)

  • Restrictions: Prohibited while hunting game animals or wolves, during mountain lion or bobcat hunts with dogs, to avoid check stations, or to facilitate illegal hunting.
  • Exemptions: Permitted for safety and other legitimate purposes.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) (CR)

  • Drone Restrictions: UAVs/drones may not be used to locate game for hunting on the same day the device has been airborne or to provide information for others to hunt on that day.

Waste of Game (MCA 87-6-205)

  • Prohibition: It is prohibited to waste or render unfit for human consumption any part of a game animal that is suitable for food, including all four quarters of game animals (excluding mountain lions).

Hunter Access and Regulations in Montana

Hunter Access Responsibilities

  • Land Knowledge: Hunters are responsible for knowing their location, the land ownership, and any access restrictions. Information is available through FWP's Block Management Program.

Fishing Access Sites

  • Hunting Opportunities: Many fishing access sites offer hunting with specific safety zones and weapon restrictions. Detailed information is available on the Fishing Access Site webpage.

Federal Land Access

  • National Parks Service: Closed to hunting, but other National Park Service lands may have specific regulations.
  • National Wildlife Refuges: May have more restrictive species-specific regulations. Contact the specific refuge for information.
  • U.S. Forest Service & Bureau of Land Management: Area-specific closures or restrictions apply. Contact regional offices for details.
  • Other Federal Lands: Contact local federal land management agencies for any restrictions.

Unlawful Posting

  • State or Federal Land: It's illegal to knowingly restrict access or use of state or federal land.

Indian Reservation Trust Lands

  • Hunting Opportunities: Some reservations offer hunting with tribal licenses. Contact the appropriate tribal government for more information.

Possession of Wildlife Parts (MCA 87-6-202)

  • Prohibitions: Illegal to possess parts of unlawfully taken wildlife, with specific exceptions for lawfully obtained parts and natural finds.

Transport of Wildlife

  • Regulations: Ensure lawfully taken and tagged game complies with regulations. Violations of transport laws, including crossing state lines with unlawfully taken game, are subject to the Lacey Act.

Traps and Two-way Communication

  • Traps: Illegal to tamper with or remove wildlife from another's trap without permission.
  • Two-way Communication: Restrictions apply during hunting to aid in the taking or locating of live animals and to avoid game check stations or enforcement personnel.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)

  • Drone Use: Prohibited in locating game animals for hunting purposes on the same hunting day the UAV has been airborne.

Waste of Game (MCA 87-6-205)

  • Utilization: It's required to utilize all suitable parts of a game animal for food.

Montana State Parks

  • Hunting Opportunities: Some state parks provide hunting with specific restrictions. Contact the park or visit the Montana State Parks website for details.

Railroad Access

  • Private Property: Railroads and their right-of-way are private and require permission for hunting or access.

State School Trust Lands

  • Access and Use: A Conservation License is required for related activities, with specific rules for overnight use, motorized travel, and firearm discharge.

State Wildlife Management Areas (WMA)

  • Open Seasons: Generally open to hunting during the game animal season, but closures apply during specific times of the year. Contact regional offices or visit the FWP website for WMA-specific information.

Stream Access Law

  • Landowner Permission: Required for hunting game animals between the high water marks of streams and rivers.

FAQ Section

  1. How do I obtain a hunting license or permit in Montana?

    • You can purchase licenses or permits from FWP license providers, FWP offices, or online. Some permits, especially for elk, require participation in a lottery system with specific deadlines.
  2. What is the deadline for elk permit applications in Montana?

    • Elk permit applications must be submitted on or before April 1. For other licenses like deer B, elk B, antelope, and antelope B licenses, the deadline is June 1.
  3. Are nonresidents eligible for elk hunting licenses in Montana?

    • Yes, nonresidents can apply for most licenses through a drawing system. They are typically limited to 10% of the license/permit quota.
  4. What are the general requirements for archery equipment during hunting in Montana?

    • Archery equipment must meet specific criteria, including bow length and arrow weight. The use of explosive or chemical devices on arrows is prohibited.
  5. What is the rule regarding the use of aircraft in hunting in Montana?

    • It is illegal to use aircraft to shoot, drive, or concentrate game animals or to locate game animals for hunting on the same day the aircraft is used.
  6. Is baiting allowed for hunting in Montana?

    • No, baiting is illegal for hunting any game animal or bird. It includes the use of food sources or salt to lure animals.
  7. Can I hunt with hounds in Montana?

    • Hound hunting for black bears is permitted in certain open districts and seasons, subject to specific regulations. Training and hunting are allowed from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
  8. What are the hunting hours in Montana?

    • Hunting hours are from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset each day of the hunting season.
  9. What is the hunter orange requirement in Montana?

    • When hunting game animals, hunters must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material above the waist, visible at all times. Certain exemptions apply.
  10. What should I do if I accidentally take an unlawfully killed game animal?

    • Immediately notify FWP or call 1-800-TIP-MONT and await instructions before transporting the animal. Do not transport the animal until receiving guidance.
  11. How is transport of wildlife regulated in Montana?

    • Lawfully taken and tagged game must comply with evidence of sex requirements during transport. It's illegal to transport unlawfully taken game across state lines without adhering to federal and state laws.
  12. Are drones allowed for hunting in Montana?

    • No, it is prohibited to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs/drones) to locate game animals for hunting on the same day the device has been airborne.
  13. What is the maximum number of elk licenses a hunter can possess in Montana?

    • A hunter may possess up to three elk licenses in a year, only one of which can be a General Elk License. This includes Elk B licenses and other specific types.
  14. Can I hunt on private lands in Montana?

    • Yes, but hunting on private property requires explicit permission from the landowner, lessee, or their agents, regardless of whether the land is posted.
  15. What are the rules regarding waste of game in Montana?

    • Hunters are prohibited from wasting or rendering unfit for human consumption any part of a game animal that is suitable for food. All four quarters of game animals (excluding mountain lions) are considered suitable for food.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.