Permits and Stamps for Hunting and Trapping in Nebraska

Nebraska Hunt (Small Game) Permit

  • Residents (16+): Required for hunting small game or waterfowl.
  • Exceptions: Farmers/ranchers and their immediate families living on owned/leased land may hunt certain species without a permit or Habitat Stamp.
  • Nonresidents: Required for all ages for small game, waterfowl, coyotes, prairie dogs, and other nongame animals.

Waterfowl Hunter Requirements

  • Residents (16+) and All Nonresidents: Must have a Nebraska hunt (small game) permit, Nebraska Habitat Stamp, Nebraska Waterfowl Stamp, Harvest Information Program number, and a Federal Duck Stamp.

Nebraska Fur Harvest Permit

  • Residents (16+) and Nonresidents: Required for hunting, trapping, or pursuing furbearers.
  • Restrictions for Nonresidents: Permit available only if their state offers similar for Nebraska residents and must be purchased at the Game and Parks' Lincoln office.

Nebraska Habitat Stamp

  • Requirement: Required for all hunters and trappers, with certain exemptions.
  • Exemptions: Include residents under 16, certain landowners and their families, and those hunting or trapping coyotes, prairie dogs, and other nongame animals.

Federal Duck Stamp

  • Availability: At Game and Parks offices, U.S. Post Offices, or The E-Stamp receipt is valid for 45 days, after which the physical stamp is required.

Harvest Information Program (HIP)

  • Requirement: Mandatory for hunters of migratory game birds.
  • Registration: Begins August 1 through the permit system customer profile at Hunters receive a number to carry while hunting.

Residency Requirements for Nebraska Permits

  • General Criteria: Continuous 30-day residency before application, Nebraska as legal residency for students or military personnel outside the state, and active-duty military or full-time students in Nebraska for at least 30 days.

Other Types of Hunt Permits

  • Nonresident 2-day: For small game or waterfowl hunting on any two consecutive days.
  • 69-and-Over Senior: Combination hunt/fish/fur harvest permit with included stamps.
  • 64-and-Over Veteran: Combination hunt/fish/fur harvest permit with included stamps for eligible veterans.
  • Deployed Military: Special permits for recently deployed Nebraska residents.
  • Lifetime: Hunting, hunt/fish combination, and fur harvest permits available for residents.

More on Permits and Stamps

  • Validity: Permits and stamps are valid for the calendar year unless otherwise stated.
  • Mobile Permits: Can be purchased and displayed on a mobile device.
  • Permit Revocation: Privileges may be revoked for violations or if revoked in another jurisdiction.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.