Big Game Harvest Reporting in North Carolina

Overview of Reporting Requirements

In North Carolina, it's mandatory for hunters to report their big game harvests. This includes deer, bear, and wild turkey. Hunters must have either a paper Big Game Harvest Report Card or an electronic version on their mobile device. These cards are issued with a Big Game Hunting License and are valid for one hunting season (July 1 - June 30).

Validating a Harvest

Upon harvesting a bear, deer, or wild turkey, and before moving the animal:

  • Paper Card Validation: Cut or punch out the corresponding day and month of the harvest on the paper Big Game Harvest Report Card.
  • Electronic Validation: Use the Go Outdoors North Carolina App to validate and register the harvest, with or without Internet service.

Registering a Harvest

Harvest must be registered before any of the following:

  1. Skinning or dismembering the animal.
  2. Leaving the animal unattended.
  3. Transferring the animal to another person.
  4. 12 p.m. (noon) the day following the harvest.

Harvests can be registered through:

  • The Go Outdoors North Carolina App.
  • Calling 800-I-GOT-ONE (800-446-8663) with a touch-tone phone.
  • The “Report a Big Game Harvest” link on
  • A participating wildlife service agent location.

Registration in Remote Areas

  • Hunters can validate and register their harvest using the Go Outdoors North Carolina App in remote areas, regardless of internet availability.
  • The animal must be registered by 12 p.m. the day after leaving the remote area.
  • If necessary, the animal may be skinned and dismembered before registration in remote areas.

Recording the Authorization Number

Upon registering a harvest, hunters receive an authorization number, which must be recorded:

  • On the paper Big Game Harvest Report Card.
  • Electronically on the Go Outdoors North Carolina App.

This number serves as authorization for carcass possession.

Reporting for License-Exempt Hunters

License-exempt individuals must obtain a License-Exempt Big Game Harvest Report Card. They must follow the same reporting procedures as regular hunters. License-exempt youth should use their own card, not their parent’s.

Deer Management Assistance Program Harvest Reporting

Participants in the Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) or Community Deer Management Assistance Program (CDMAP) should use special tags and follow the guidelines provided in their participant packet. They must select the “Report a DMAP Tag” option and provide the tag number upon registration.


Compliance with these reporting procedures is crucial for sustainable wildlife management in North Carolina. Hunters are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these rules to ensure legal and responsible hunting practices. For more information, visit

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.