Guide to Specialized Licenses and Permits in North Carolina

Various Licenses for Specific Activities and Needs

Bobcat/Otter Tags

  • Purpose: Necessary for selling or transferring ownership of bobcat or otter carcasses or pelts.
  • Limit: Up to 50 bobcat tags and 150 otter tags per transaction.
  • Cost: Free for both residents and nonresidents.

Disabled Access Permit

  • Eligibility: For persons with limited physical mobility.
  • Usage: Allows operation of vehicles, including ATVs, on certain Commission-maintained roads and trails, and access to special disabled hunting blinds on designated game lands.
  • Companion Access: Includes a “companion card” for one accompanying individual.
  • Validity: Remains valid as long as the qualifying disability persists.
  • Cost: Free.

Disabled Sportsman Hunt Certification

  • Purpose: Establishes eligibility for disabled hunt opportunities, required if the applicant doesn’t have a lifetime disabled veteran or totally disabled license.
  • Note: This is a certification, not a license. A valid hunting license is still required for participating in a disabled hunt.
  • Cost: Free.

Falconry License

  • Requirement: Necessary to hunt using any raptor.
  • Additional Licenses: Requires a falconry hunting license, state hunting license, comprehensive hunting license, sportsman’s license, or a lifetime license that authorizes hunting.
  • Expiration: June 30 of each year.
  • Cost: $11 for both residents and nonresidents.

Fox Tags

  • Purpose: Needed for selling or transferring ownership of a fox carcass or pelt.
  • Cost: $2.25 each for both residents and nonresidents.

Fur Dealer Licenses

  • Standard License: Authorizes buying and selling furs anywhere in North Carolina ($30 for residents, $60 for nonresidents).
  • Station License: For buying or selling furs at an established location in North Carolina ($128 for residents, not available for nonresidents).
  • Expiration: June 30 each year.

Hunting/Inland Fishing Guide License

  • Requirement: Needed to guide others for a fee.
  • Additional License: A vessel-for-hire license may be required for transport by vessel.
  • Cost: $16 for residents, $159 for nonresidents.

Special Landholder and Guest Fishing License

  • Eligibility: For landholders of private property bordering inland or joint fishing waters.
  • Privileges: Allows fishing from the shore or a pier/dock on the property without additional inland fishing licenses.
  • Restrictions: Not for commercial use; guests must not be charged for fishing.
  • Validity: 12 months from the date of issue.
  • Cost: $106 for both residents and nonresidents.

Taxidermy Licenses

  • Standard License: Authorizes practicing taxidermy, including tanning of hides, for compensation ($50 for residents, not available for nonresidents).
  • Cervid Certification: Required in addition to a taxidermy license for taxidermy of Cervidae family species ($5, residents only).
  • Expiration: December 31 each year.
  • Federal Permits: Additional federal permits may be required.


These specialized licenses and permits cater to a variety of needs, from wildlife trade to accommodating disabilities in hunting activities. They ensure legal compliance and support diverse activities within North Carolina's rich wildlife and natural resources sector. Understanding the specific requirements, costs, and validity of each permit or license is crucial for individuals engaged in these activities.

Sign Up for Huntlink!

Huntlink is a free program that will allow us to send you state regulations to your email for the states you hunt in. The benefits of this are:

1. PDF Format - Downloadable

2. Able to be read with or without reception

3. Delivered right to your email with no ads

And much more!


The legal advice provided on Wild Advisor Pro is intended as a summary of the hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing laws and regulations and does not constitute legal language or professional advice. We make every effort to ensure the information is accurate and up to date, but it should not be relied upon as legal authority. For the most current and comprehensive explanation of the laws and regulations, please consult the official government websites or a qualified legal professional. Wild Advisor Pro is not responsible for any misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the information presented and shall not be held liable for any losses, damages, or legal disputes arising from the use of this summary information. Always check with the appropriate governmental authorities for the latest information regarding outdoor regulations and compliance.