Mountain Goat Hunting in Utah
Hunting for mountain goats in Utah is a unique and challenging pursuit governed by Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-40. Here are the key details you need to know:
- To hunt a mountain goat in Utah, you must possess a mountain goat permit.
Harvesting a Mountain Goat
- You are allowed to use the weapon specified on your permit to harvest one mountain goat within the area and season specified on your permit.
- Obtaining a mountain goat permit through the big game drawing is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. You can only draw a mountain goat permit once in your lifetime.
Hunter's Choice Mountain Goat Permit
- If you are fortunate enough to obtain a hunter's choice mountain goat permit, you may use the weapon type specified on your permit to harvest one goat of either sex within the designated area and season mentioned on your permit.
Female Mountain Goat Permit
- If you hold a female mountain goat permit, you can use the weapon type listed on your permit to harvest only a female goat within the specified area and season on your permit.
- During the 2023 season, you are allowed to obtain only one mountain goat permit, regardless of its type.
Online Orientation Course
- If you secure a mountain goat permit, it's mandatory to complete the online orientation course available at wildlife.utah.gov/biggame.
- After successfully completing the course, you will receive your permit.